Left hand elevator almost done

The bulk of the work on the left hand elevator is now done. All I have to do is add a little more lead to the counterweight and then attach the fiberglass end tip.

elevator1.JPG

I was a little intimidated by the lead counterweight but it turned out to be fairly easy. What I ended up doing was lining the counter balance ribs with aluminum foil as a form for the molten lead. I bought a couple 2lb lead fishing weights from a local bait shop. I then melted them down in a stainless steel measuring cup and poured the lead into the ribs and let it cool in place. I’ll need to repour it though because I have to put a nut and bolt to hold the the weight in place. Having already done it once it won’t be to intimidating next week when I finish up.

elevator2.JPG

Below is a picture of the rod end bearing cut out on the front of the elevator. An acquaintance on an internet form I belong to thought it looked a little chewd up. Hopefully it looks better now.

elevator3.JPG

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s