I’ve been going to old files and mementos and ran across the following. It’s been floating around in other forms for years but this was our adaptation of it. This is from my days as a test equipment technician at Lockheed Missiles and Space Co, now Lockheed-Martin Missiles and Space. FYI, D5 refers to the Trident II Fleet Ballistic Missile System.
D5 Test Equipment Technician Technical Skills Aptitude Battery
Read each question carefully. Answer all questions. Time limit 4 hours. Begin immediately. Work in numerical order (equipment remaining from question 1 may prove useful with questions 3 and 6.)
- Medicine: You have been provided with a razor blade, a piece of gauze, and a bottle of Scotch. Remove your appendix. Do not suture until your work has been inspected. You have 15 minutes.
- History: Describe the history of the papacy from its origins to the present day, concentrating especially but not exclusively on its social, political, economic, religious, and philosophical impact on Europe, Asia, America, and Africa. Be brief, concise, and specific.
- Public Speaking: Two thousand drug-crazed aborigines are storming the classroom. Calm them. You may use any ancient language except Latin or Greek.
- Biology: Create life. Estimate the difference in subsequent human culture if this form of life had been created 500 million years earlier, with special attention to its probable effect on the English Parliamentary System.
- Music: Write a piano concerto. Orchestrate and perform it with flute and drum. You will find a piano under your seat.
- Engineering: The disassembled parts of a high powered rifle have been placed in a box on your desk. You will also find an instruction manual printed in Swahili. In 10 minutes, a hungry Bengal tiger will be admitted to the room. Take whatever action you feel is appropriate. Be prepared to justify your decision.
- Sociology: What sociological problems might accompany the end of the world? Construct an experiment to test your theory.
- Management Science: Define management. Define science. How do they relate. Create a generalized algorithm to optimize all managerial decisions. Assuming a 7600 CPU supporting 50 terminals, each terminal to activate your algorithm, design the communications interface and all necessary control functions.
- Psychology: Based on your knowledge of their works, evaluate the emotional stability, degree of adjustment, and repressed frustrations of each of the following: Alexander of Aphrodinias, Ramses II, Gregory of Nicea, and Hammurabi. Support your evaluation with quotations from each man’s work. It is not necessary to translate.
- Economics: Develop a realistic plan for refinancing the national debt. Trace the possible effects of your plan on these areas: Cubism, the Donatist Controversy, and the Wave Theory of Light.
- Epistemology: take a position for or against truth. Prove the validity of your position.
- Classical Physics: Explain the nature of matter. Include in your answer an evaluation of the impact on the development of mathematics on science.
- Modern Physics: Produce element 107. Determine it’s half-life.
- (NOTE: At the time this was made up, there were only 106 known elements. Bohrium is element 107, discovered in 1981.)
- Energy Resources: Construct a working fusion reactor.
- Philosophy: Sketch the development of human thought. Estimate its significance. Compare with the development of any other kind of thought.
- General Knowledge: Describe in detail, briefly.
Extra Credit: Define the universe. Give three examples.