Flying

Not much to say this week.  I did install a larger fuel tank on the Swamp Plane.  (I’ve taken to calling it a Swamp Plane because people have asked if it’s a swamp boat or swamp buggy).  This video is from a test flight after installing the new fuel tank.  Enjoy!

 

P3 Engine Break-In Complete!

After some back and forth with the factory I was finally able to finish my engine break-in today.  My EGT’s were still running a little hot so I did two things; I started from scratch on the air screw and idle screw on the carburetor, and I CAREFULLY mixed 20:1 Amsoil in some premium auto fuel and replace the fuel that was in my tank with this new gas.  I may have been a little sloppy with my mixing before.  Sure enough, this time EGTs were down where they were supposed to be.  So…

Ta-da!

breakin-checklist

So the next step is to let Ken, the local Six Chuter dealer take a look at it, rig the parachute, and probably let him do the first flight to make sure everything is copacetic.  There’s a possibility of me being able to go up to see Ken on Sunday, but if not then some time next week.  We just have to work around the winds.

PPC Engine Break-In

After the first run of the engine the very next thing you have to do is go through the break-in process.  I’ve been experiencing heating issues with trying to go through the break-in period.  It’s running hot.  I called Six-Chuter’s Rolando and he had me adjust the needle in the carburetor.  This helped but I’m still running overly hot in the 4500-5000 rpm band.

egt

My next steps are to, drain the fuel and put in new fuel, I’m going to double-check the oil/fuel mix ratio to make sure I didn’t mess something up.  I’m also going to call Rolando again to see if there is anything else I can check.

PPC Engine Start!

This weekend I went to a local fly-in to meet up with a friend of mine who helped me out with the first startup of my engine.  It took a little to start it but it finally came to life.  Joey video’d the startup but it’s shared in a private facebook group.  I’ll try to get the video and put it up here.

So now that I got the engine running it’s time to do the break in.  There is a very specific procedure you have to follow, running the engine at specific RPMs for specific amounts of time.  In doing this I noticed a couple of issues.  My idle RPM was registering at 3000 RPMs.  The engine seemed to not want to run at that RPM very well.  Also, Joey remarked that it wasn’t very windy behind the prop.  Those were two things that were nagging at me.  So I changed the calibration of the tachometer so that it registered the idle RPM at 1500 RPM or so.  That seemed more in line with what the engine was actually doing.  Then when I ran the engine at the prescribed break-in RPMs, it ran much smoother and I could feel more “push” from the prop.

Another problem I ran into at first engine start was that my EGT (exhaust gas temperature) didn’t seem to be working.  It turned out that it was!  I just needed to run the engine at a higher RPM.  So as I was doing the break-in at the higher RPMs I noticed my EGT was up past the recommended 1100 deg Fahrenheit and even started to hit 1200 which is the absolute max.  I decided to throttle back and let the engine cool down after which I shut down.  I’ll contact Six Chuter tomorrow to get their opinion on what I should do to fix this problem.

I now leave with with few photos from the MacFarlane Farms Fly-in…

 

PPC Assmbly Complete!

This is my wrap-up video for my Six Chuter P3 Lite powered parachute.   I only have to items to finish; connect the gas line to the fuel tank, connect the voltage regulator to the battery.  Everything else is complete.  I had to move a few things around when I found I had mounted them in the wrong place.  Now I have holes where I don’t need them.  We call those lightening holes.  An aircraft term used to refer to holes cut to save weight in the airplane. 🙂

Anyway, here’s a wrap-up video…